Migraine is the most common neurological condition in the developed world. It affects around 1 in 8 people in the UK. It costs the economy around £1 billion in lost production. These figures take into account time taken off work, the cost of replacement staff and periods when employees are working under par during episodes. Despite these figures, migraine remains a misunderstood and under managed condition.
Migraine is more than just a headache. It can be a debilitating condition, which has a considerable impact on the quality of life of people with migraines and their families. Episodes can be completely disabling, forcing the person to abandon everyday activities for up to 3 days. Even in symptom-free periods, people may live in fear of the next episode
A migraine is an intense headache accompanied by other symptoms such as nausea (feeling sick), vomiting (being sick), visual problems and an increased sensitivity to light or sound. Migraines commonly last between four hours and three days. Some people experience migraines several times a week. Others might only experience attacks every few years. If you experience headaches on 15 days or more each month, and eight of these headaches are migraines, this is known as chronic migraine
A few of the types of migraines/headaches are below
1 Sinus Headaches
These headaches create pounding pain around your nose and eyes. It can feel as though you’ve just taken a punch from the heavyweight champion of the world.
Some describe a sinus headache as an ice-pick forced into their head, whatever the description the result is the same - pounding pain.
Bowen Therapy can work to ease congestion and clear your air passageways.
2 TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Headaches)
A temporomandibular joint headache is when the pain begins on the side of your face or if your jaw feels tender.
To relieve this painful headache, you must heal the source of pain.
Bowen Therapy works to realign your jaw. The gentle treatment works around the facial muscles, helping you find balance both physically and mentally.
3 Tension Headaches
Muscular tension creates headaches that can feel like migraines.
They often result from improper posture, sleeping positions, or heavy stress.
These headaches feel like a band of pressure that starts at the point of tension and moving upward into your head to cause pain.
Bowen Therapy works to release this tension, which reduces the impact it has on your headaches.
Common triggers of Migraines are:
- Emotional triggers. These include stress, anxiety, anger, excitement, and shock.
- Physical triggers. These include tiredness, loss of sleep, irregular sleep, strenuous exercise, tension in the neck or shoulders, eye strain (for example, after looking at a computer screen), and dental problems (for example, teeth grinding).
- Dietary triggers. Dietary triggers include lack of food (dieting), irregular meals, alcohol, caffeine, certain foods such as chocolate, cheese and citrus fruits, and certain food additives such as monosodium glutamate (MSG), aspartame (a sweetener),
- Dehydration can also cause migraines.
- Environmental triggers. Bright lights, loud noise, strong smells and smoky environments.
- Poor Posture. A common cause of migraines
How to help avoid migraine attacks.
- Ensure a good sleep pattern
- Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated,
- Manage stress and let go of anger and resentment.
- Taking regular exercise may also help prevent migraines. Exercise helps with breathing, improving blood sugar balance and maintaining general wellbeing. Although avoid very strenuous activity that your body is not used to as this can sometimes act as a migraine trigger.
- Keep a food diary to see if there is any correlation between a food that you eat and having a migraine.
- Keeping a diary of your migraines can be a useful way to record when and where you experience attacks. Check for any patterns, and try to identify your triggers.
How does Bowen Therapy help migraines.
Bowen Therapy is a very gentle, relaxing therapy which helps calms the body and helps to alleviate stress. It also affects the hormonal and digestive systems of the body hence getting rid of unwanted toxins in the body. Bowen Therapy also works on realignment and posture which helps to eliminate poor postural alignment. I also where appropriate offer exercise advice. If you would like to find out how Bowen Therapy could help you, please get in touch as I would love to help.